Jane’s House of Inspiration is sponsoring the Joe L. Revere Memorial Community Lecture on Cancer Health Disparities. The purpose of this lecture is to disseminate information on cancer health disparities in an easily accessible format (e.g. via social media).
Cancer is among the leading causes of death in the United States and Globally (CDC, 2017; WHO, 2017), and cancer health disparities disproportionately affect certain socioeconomic and racial/ethnic groups, as well as people living geographically isolated areas (National Cancer Institute, 2017). For example, according to the National Cancer Institute –
- African American men have higher rates of prostate cancer incidence and death compared to other racial/ethnic groups.
- African American women have a higher incidence of an aggressive breast cancer (the triple-negative subtype) compared to women of other racial/ethnic groups.
- Hispanic and African American women have higher rates of cervical cancer incidence and death compared to women of other racial/ethnic groups.
- American Indians and Alaska Natives have higher rates of kidney cancer than other racial/ethnic groups.
- Asian and Pacific Islanders have higher rates of liver cancer than other racial/ethnic groups.
It is important to disseminate information about cancer health disparities, screening, treatment and preventive measures as widely as possible, to include in community forums, blogs, and other forms of social media to help ensure that information is reaching the broadest audience, to include vulnerable populations, and those who are not likely to obtain this information in other formats (e.g., university lectures, or clinical trials). The late Mr. Joe L. Revere, a loving father, husband, family man, and pillar of his community, died of prostate cancer in 2016 at 75 years old. Mr. Revere sought to speak out about cancer to help educate and promote health among others. This lecture honors his memory and will hopefully encourage many people to take preventive measures to help reduce their cancer risk.
Follow JHOFI for more updates on this lecture series.